Indian Railways Seat Availability
Reserving your seat in Indian Railways made easy
Are you planning to travel to any part of the country sometime in the near future? Do you want to take the Indian Railways? Well, then, the first thing that you need to know and definitely keep in mind is that you have to plan your trip way beforehand if you want to get reserved seats for your journey.
The problems of getting a reservation
Travelling by train is one of the most cost-effective as well as luxurious modes of travel when it comes to India. While there are certain difficulties, there are many benefits as well. The difficulties that arise when it comes to getting railway reservation can be easily solved if a few things are kept in mind. However, first, we need to understand the problem, and then, figure out how it can be addressed.
The biggest problem that we face is getting a reserved seat, especially if you book it at the last minute. According to the new regulations, the ARP or the Advanced Reservation Period has become 120 days before the day of travel. That would be around 4 months in advance from the day of your travel. However, it becomes really difficult to get reserved tickets even on the second day after the counter opens, the seats fill up so fast. This is particularly a problem when there is a rush, like during the time of festivals, summer holidays, puja vacations, etc.
Now that you know the main problems of getting a railway reservation, let's take a look at how you can solve them:
- For starters, you have to plan your travelling date in advance. If some last minute- travel plan crops up, then you have to book Tatkal tickets, which can be done online. The Indian railway seat availability of the Tatkal tickets can be checked two days before the date of departure.
- Ticket booking counter opens at 8 AM in the morning. Do you know why the tickets get sold out so fast? Because people sit with their phones and laptops ready at the go and immediately log in to book the tickets! So, if you want a fair shot at getting hold of reserved seats, then you will also have to do the same.
- If you know that you will be travelling during the peak seasons, then you will have to make your travel plans beforehand and get the tickets booked in advance.
Choose your "class" of travel
You can choose the way you want to travel when it comes to the Indian Railways. There are generally five types of accommodations that are offered in the trains. Let us take a look at them:
1. Sleeper Class:If you want to travel on a tight budget, then this one is your best bet, for long distance travel. It consists of three sleeper berths facing each other and without Air Conditioning. The sleeper compartments generally remain very crowded since it is the most pocket-friendly option. So, if you do not mind some company when travelling overnight, this is possibly the best thing for you!
2. AC Chair Car:If your journey is going to be just for a couple of hours, then the best option is an AC Chair Car. Depending on the type of train, meals are either included or excluded with your ticket. Generally, meals are not included, but Pantry boys come and take your order and provide meals accordingly. If a train does not allow outside food vendors, then surely there will be a pantry car.
3. Third AC or AC 3 Tier:If you want to travel in AC for an overnight journey, then go for the AC 3 tier. It is like the sleeper class, only with AC. Some trains are being upgraded, and you will get reading lights in your berth. It is perfect for travelling on a budget in AC. Generally, it is the most difficult to get Indian railway seat availability for this class since they fill up really fast.
4. Second AC or AC 2 Tier:This is more spacious than the AC 3 tier. In this type of a compartment, there are two berths that face each other and hence there is more space. If you want to maintain a little privacy, then this is perfect.
5. First AC or 1st Class AC:Well, if you want to travel in royal glory, then opt for this. With sliding doors, for each coop, it offers you the maximum privacy. You will also get your own personal at the call water service. You get your own bathroom and even cloth hangers. It doesn't really get better than this!
How can you choose your train with TravelKhana?
TravelKhana not only provides you with the option for booking meals and getting them delivered to you at your desired station, but they also try and make planning your journey as easy as possible. It actually provides you with the option of looking up trains that will be plying on your date of journey. All you have to do is enter the place you will be travelling from, your proposed destination and your date of travel. Before proceeding with your railway reservation, you need to know which trains will be running on that day and then make your decision accordingly.
Checking your seat Availability and booking with TravelKhana
TravelKhana allows you to check the Indian railway seat availability of your desired train. Confirmed tickets are available only when there are seats left. You can also book tickets in RAC or Reservation Against Cancellation and waitlist. A confirmed ticket will have your coach and berth number. In the case of an RAC, you will either get a full berth if there are any last moment cancellations or you will have to travel by sharing your berth with someone else. Waitlist does not confirm your berth, and hence, it is best not to undertake long distance travel with a waitlisted ticket.
These are certain basic pointers that you need to remember when it comes to reservation and booking tickets in the Indian Railways. Bon Voyage!