The Indian Railways offers a plethora of options for your travelling convenience. There are times when we might not be travelling but we need to send some luggage to somewhere. It might be books, boxes, household items or anything that you have to transport and you can do so with the Indian Railways, even when you are not travelling.
The two types of luggage transportation
There are mainly two types of luggage transportation- one when you are travelling on the same train or another when you are not travelling on the same train. There might be times when you want to transport a cycle, a pet or even a bike when you are travelling on a train, for which you will need to avail the former service. However, if you are not to be travelling along with the luggage that you wish to send, then you will have to send your luggage through parcel booking.
There is a definite procedure through which you can do that. Let us take a look at the steps that you will need to follow for this:
- The first thing that you have to do is pack and parcel the products that you wish to send properly. For example if you are to be transporting some books and copies, then you will have to properly tie them up together or bubble wrap them and then put it in a box, ideally marking books on top. For better safety and care, when you are transporting glass items you will have to bubble wrap them in a box and then mark it with a label fragile, so that when the product will be transported, it will be treated with extra care.
- After the packaging is done you will have to head out to the parcel office of the station from where you wish to send the parcel. You will have to talk to the parcel office officers and they will tell you what are the things that you need to do. You will have to hand over the parcel to them and they will present you with a slip stating your parcel number so that you can track it.
- From then onwards you have to go back home and wait for the parcel to arrive at the stipulated destination. Generally the time taken for delivery is 3 to 5 days, depending mostly on the number of days that it takes to travel in the train to the place that you will be sending it to.
- Be very careful if you are planning on sending gold jewellery because there might be insurance policies attached to it which you will have to get done. This will involve a lot of paperwork.
- It is important to remember that you will have to go in person to the parcel office and present the documents that are necessary for sending the parcel. Do carry your identity proof along with you.
So, these are the steps that you can follow if you want to send a parcel through the Indian Railways when you will not be travelling.
Want to know about Luggage Rule for Indian railways?
If you wish to get a hold of this valuable information, read on to the following and you will come to know of the same. Luggage transportation is needed and desired by many people from all around, and train is indeed one of the safest and convenient ways to transport anything from one place to other. It could be done in two ways, one in which you are also travelling along with the luggage and in other, you just send the luggage in a train and there is an assurance of reaching it safely. Though, there are certain rules that need to be followed. First of all, do make sure to pack your products in nice packaging and with care. Once it is done, visit parcel office at the railway station, meet with the officer there and let them know what you are transporting and how much delicate or fragile it is. Depending on the distance and travel time of the train, the parcel gets delivered in general within 3 to 5 days. Do make sure that in case you are sending anything expensive then take the insurance policy too and at the time you visit the parcel office at station, do carry along with an authentic ID proof needed for verification. Have a safe travel!
How to Book Luggage in train online
Are you also a train lover or love to opt transport medium always a Train for your long distance journey? People Love to travel by trains, and this is not a latest trend, it is since from beginning to carry a lot of luggage along with and with this habit of the passengers a lot of hassle occur on the platforms. So it is good to book Luggage in train online before your journey starts.
There are 2 type of luggage categories, one which is much heavy luggage with us when we are also travelling in that particular train. And another one is when we are not going to travel in that train but want to transfer our luggage. In this 2nd case we have to book our luggage by following the proper Indian Railway guidelines, even though we can book our luggage online so no need to go & stand in a queue.
Following are the steps by which we can book our luggage in train by various ways:
- 1st we can approach station master directly & talk about our luggage, as the permission is required from him. There is some luggage transfer charges by Indian railway which we have to pay mention by the station master. Then he give us all the other details & receipt of luggage transfer.
- In another case when you are also travelling in that train then you should ideally reach at railway stationat least 3-4 hours before the train departure timings. As there is so much security checking which time consuming activity.
- You have to fillout parcel/luggage booking form from Indian Railway portal. You can book your parcel online as well. After completing necessary formalities & payment which is normal in charges & as per weight & delicacy of the goods it depends & mentioned by Indian Railway. Once you complete the payment portion then you will get booking receipt online. You make take printout for future safety else you can download & save it in you mobile.
- Booking receipt is needed while booking & also when your train is reaching to a particular destination. You need to run for ‘parcel office’ once reached on your arrival station. You have to show this receipt in the parcel office to offload your luggage.
- It cost bit extra if you are also travelling in the same train compare to only luggage transfer.
- Apart from all above you can also book your luggage by simply going at parcel office which is available in your nearest railway station. As same you have to complete parcel form booking formalities & drop or leave our luggage there only.
- For all the above different process of How to book luggage in trainyou must have these things kept with you: Government issued ID Proof, Train ticket, or reservation ticket.
So this is how you can book luggage in train & travel with convenient way with full comfort. Stay continue with us for more train updates and have a Happy Luggage free Journey.