Do you know how can book extra luggage while travel in the train? Are you going on a long term vacation and have much stuff to carry around with you and so? Thinking about how to book extra luggage while travelling in the trains? Well, there are specific rules that are must to be followed while been travelling in the train and it is applicable to luggage as well. For each class of travel, there is a free allowance capacity and a marginal allowance capacity along with maximum quantity that is permitted in the same including in the free allowance. For AC first class it is 70 kgs in free, 15 kgs in marginal and 150 kgs in maximum quantity permitted. For AC II tier sleeper or first class, it is 50 kgs in free, 10 kgs in marginal and 100 kgs in maximum quantity permitted. For AC III tier sleeper or AC chair car, it is 40 kgs in free, 10 kgs in marginal and 80 kgs in maximum quantity permitted. For sleeper class, it is 40 kgs in free, 10 kgs in marginal and 80 kgs in maximum quantity permitted. For second class coach, it is 35 kgs in free, 10 kgs in marginal and 70 kgs in maximum quantity permitted. It is to be noted that passengers are allowed to book as well as carry along excess luggage beyond the free allowance limit in the respective compartment all depending on the payment of charge a 1.5 times of luggage rate.
Journey in train is mainly a long-distance journey and one when does it, they need to carry luggage as well. One may go for a vacation or going for a business trip and they need to carry their essential things and items which they will need through the journey and they can carry them along with them when they are availing a train journey.
But yes, there are some rules and regulations which are also needed to be followed and they have been cited by the officials of Indian Railways strictly.
The strict rules and regulations to be followed
- The luggage which is carried has to be legibly addressed in Hindi or in English before boarding the train. Otherwise it is not acceptable.
- Luggage has to be packed securely always. If they are left half opened or nit packed properly then the authorities will consider it as improper packing and will ask the owner of the property, the reason behind it. It might happen, that the authorities will not allow it to keep in train if they find those luggages improper.
- In trains, mostly luggage travel with the passengers only. Passengers can carry them with themselves only. So, before traveling at least half an hour before boarding the train, one has to be present at the luggage office of the booking station and get the permission from the authorities. If one is carrying a package or a luggage which weighs more than 100 kgs, then one should pay a bulky amount of surcharge.
- One should not carry things which are explosive by nature. Dangerous inflammable articles are strictly prohibited and one cannot carry them while they are riding a train. Things like acids, empty or full gas cylinders and dead poultry all are strictly prohibited by the railway authorities.
- If one carries a trunk or a suitcase which has a measurement of 100cmsx 60cmsx25cms (length, breadth and height) then it can be carried along with the passenger only. If the luggage is bigger than this size, then it should be booked earlier before boarding the train and it should be carried separately in a brake van in a different compartment.
- If a patient is traveling by train and needs oxygen support, then oxygen cylinders can be carried if a proper medical certificate is shown and if some additional medical luggage is needed, then it can also be carried along with it.
The amount of luggage allowed to carry
There are rules for luggage and amount of it which can be carried when traveling by a train. For AC first class it is 150 kgs and for 2 tier and 3 tier compartments it should be within 100 kgs. For Sleeper classes, it is not more than 80 kgs. For children, it is made into half.
If there is a theft of luggage while traveling, one need to make an FIR through the FIR forms available with the TTE’s or Guards. Then it should be reported to the nearest police station for further actions.
The following maximum limit free allowance, marginal allowance are admissible for carriage of luggage in the compartment :
|Class||Free allowance||Marginal allowance||Maximum quantity permitted ( including free allowance)|
|AC First Class||70 Kgs||15 Kgs||150 Kgs|
|AC 2-Tier sleeper/First class||50 Kgs||10 Kgs||100 Kgs|
|AC 3-tier sleeper/AC chair car||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||40 Kgs|
|Sleeper class||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||80 Kgs|
|Second class||35 Kgs||10 Kgs||70 Kgs|
How to book extra luggage on travel time in train
People often think about the fact that how to book extra luggage on travel time in train?
If we want to book our luggage there are some requirements, such as:
- Government issued ID
- Train ticket
- Reservation for the same train for which we want to book the luggage in.
In this case, there is a procedure for the booking of the luggage that one has to follow, such as:
- Firstly, we have to go to the station a day before our journey is planned and fill out the form fir the luggage booking process. We should generally go a day before in order to make it sure that we can have a booking in case by going on the day we get to know that the brake van gets filled up and then are left with no options.
- Then secondly, on the day of our journey is planned we need to reach the station much before that the scheduled time of the train departure.
- After that we have to go to the parcel office and present the receipt of our booking and then our luggage will be transported to the platform for us. Moreover they will also load all of our luggage in the train, when train will be ready to leave the platform.
Now after reaching on to our destination we again need to go to the parcel office and present the receipt of our booking again and then they will only again offload all of our luggage from the train.
Railway Luggage Charges
Indian Railway is the major mode of transport amongst Indian population. People Love to travel by trains, and this is in trend from beginning to carry a lot of luggage along with and with this habit of the passengers a lot of hassle occur on the platforms. If in case you have a more number of luggage with you, then for sure it becomes a big problem for the fellow passenger in the train whoboard after you. Almost we all have faced this problem before, while travel by train.
After board in train specially if our boarding station is in between the soure& destination & we find previous passengersalreadyoccupied all the space of the luggage in each corner of baggage space with their heavy & more number of bags, then off course you get irritate as that space is also for you as well.But now as per the Indian Railways new rules all such cases not happening as those days now over. Passenger has to give penalty if they caught travelling with excess baggage. As per new norms, in AC first class passenger can carry 70 kg of luggage for free and a maximum of 150 kg, after paying a fee for the excess 80 kg. Whereas for AC two-tier passengers allow to take 50 kg and 100 kg, respectively.
Similarly, person travelling in a sleeper class can carry 40 kg luggage and 35 kg, respectively without paying extra money. If the weight exceed as per the mention limits then the traveler should be ready to pay extra amount
Following are the Railway Luggage Charges applicable as per Indian Railway government:
- For Distance (1-50km), Weight of the parcel in between (1-10kg) you have to pay 4.73 means approx. 5 rs.only. For the same distance weight is up to 91-100 kg then have to pay Rs.47.
- For Distance (51-60km), Weight of the parcel in between (1-10kg) thenyou have to pay 5.07. For the same distance weight is (51-60 kg) then have to pay Rs. 30.38.
- For Distance (61-70km), Weight of the parcel in between (71-80 kg) then you have to pay 43.21. For the same distance weight is (91-100 kg) then have to pay Rs. 54.
- For Distance (100-110km), Weight of the parcel in between (41-50 kg) then you have to pay 33. 75. For the same distance weight is (80-100 kg) then have to pay Rs. 60.75 & 67.5
- For Distance (150-160km), Weight of the parcel in between (1-10kg) then you have to pay 8.4 only. For the same distance if the weight is (60-70 kg) then have to pay Rs58.76.
- For Distance (190-200km), Weight of the parcel in between (1-10 kg) then you have to pay 9.68 only. For the same distance if the weight is (91-100kg) then have to pay Rs 96.75
Similarly, for the more details you can go through with Indian Railway website & get all such information in details.